Thursday, June 23, 2011

MTVs Dylan DilinJah Reacts To News Of Reggae Legend Buju Banton's Sentence



Dylan DilinJah is shocked to learn the news of his mentor Buju Banton's 10 year sentence.

New York, NY - United States - June 23, 2011 - Dylan DilinJah is deeply saddened to learn that Reggae legend Buju Banton was sentenced to 10 years in prison this morning. Dylan has always respected Buju as a man and an artist. "I must say Buju is no criminal. He is a genius, a provider, a rare talent and a good dude. I'm saddened today by the verdict and I will write him while he's away, and more importantly, my prayers are with him. It was an honor to meet you Buju and the journey is not over. Til Shilo. One love Mi boss.", states Dylan after receiving the news.



Dylan credits Buju Banton with providing one of his first awe-inspiring moments involving Caribbean music. "I remember being a youth in Carriacou, Grenada. I stopped by my neighbor's house in the country. My house didn't have TV so people would go and visit him and watch movies and different reggae shows. This particular afternoon we were watching a Jamaican concert which I believe now was "Sunsplash". A singer named Wayne Wonder was performing and out of the blue this 'maga'(thin), dark skinned dude with jewelry, a fresh cut and the baggiest linen suit ever jumped out and lit the stage on fire! His voice was deep and unique and his energy was amazing. The song was "Movie star" and the man's name is Buju Banton." exclaims Dylan.

After watching that performance, Dylan began to develop a longing to perform himself. He began to follow Buju's career and sought out Buju dubplates for his career as a 'Soundman' (DJ) although they were rarely affordable for him. Meeting by chance, the two quickly developed a camaraderie and were to even record a track together. Although Dylan was in full knowledge of Buju Banton previous to this meeting, the time spent with him had a true effect on Dylan and his career pursuits. "Years later when I became an artist, I had the chance to meet Buju. I was at my friend and mentor D.Original's where all the crew would hang out. There was a section in the house with all the classic arcade games and I was standing there tipsy off 'Henny' and playing a serious game of Pacman. People walking past was common so when I heard multiple footsteps I payed it no mind. The voice hit me when he said "Wha gwan yute". Now you just know Buju's voice so I turned around in shock and there he was: Gargamel aka Buju. I was starstruck and didn't have much to say in the beginning. But by the evening, we were all hanging out, drinking 'Henny', smoking with the ras and reasoning. That night we went out to a club and the next day, he allowed me to open up for him in Atlanta. I met Buju again briefly at Hot 97 in NY when I was leaving an interview with Bobby Konders and the same was shown."

No comments:

Post a Comment